WBA is now accepting applications for the 2017 Hiller Scholarship
The Wisconsin Bakers Association (WBA) announces that baking and pastry arts students can now apply for the 2017 Robert W. Hiller Scholarship. First awarded in 2005 during the WBA’s100-year anniversary celebration, the Robert W. Hiller Scholarship is made available thanks to the generosity of the members of the WBA in honor of Robert (Bob) and the late Sandy Hiller’s lifelong commitment to the Retail Baking Industry. The program intends to provide a financial resource for the education of students who will be the future of the Baking Industry.
The WBA will award up to $1,000 per individual scholarship recipient. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a minimum high school (or equivalent) degree.
- Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.85 on a 4.0 scale (may be waived for first time returning adult students).
- Applicants must be pursuing a degree (master’s, doctorate, associate, bachelor’s or diploma) in a baking/pastry arts related field that prepares candidates for a retail baking profession.
- Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation, including at least one from an employer and/or academic advisor.
- The applicant must submit a resume.
- The applicant must submit a written essay (500 words or less) detailing why he/she is passionate about a profession in the baking/pastry arts field and what they have done to demonstrate and develop that passion. The essay should include their goals for the future.
- Candidates will be subject to a phone interview to determine the recipient of the scholarship.
- Students entering the last semester of their Baking/Pastry Arts program are not eligible for the scholarship.
Interested students with a passion for a profession in the baking/pastry arts field are encouraged to apply as soon as possible by submitting a completed application form online at www.wibakers.com. The WBA Education Committee will review all completed applications submitted online or postmarked by the deadline: December 1, 2016. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further information about the scholarship, please contact the WBA Member Service Center at (800) 542-2688 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.