Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) is currently accepting applications for the position of Baking / Pastry Instructor – Long Term Substitute (Part-Time). This position is responsible for the delivery of instruction and facilitation of student learning, and the on-going development of curriculum and learning strategies which meet the needs of students and employers.
Posting Date: 02-10-2014
Job Requisition Number: 0600572
Status: Long-Term Sub
Location: Appleton Main Campus
Hours Per Week: Approximately 21-23
Contract Weeks: See Special Instructions Section Below
Basic Functions and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the delivery of instruction and facilitation of student learning, and the on-going development of curriculum and learning strategies which meet the needs of students and employers.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Facilitation of Learning. Plan, prepare and deliver instruction and facilitate the learning of students in associate degree, technical diploma, basic education, continuing education, and/or contract training programs. Assess the learning outcomes of students at the unit, course, and program level.
2. Curriculum Development. Develop, revise, and continually update curriculum and instructional materials which are competency-based, current, consistent with employer expectations, and aligned with the college policy on level of required documentation.
3. Classroom Management. Fulfill assigned schedule, maintain accurate student attendance and grade records, maintain instructional environment with emphasis on safety, housekeeping, and equipment security, and ensure opportunities for student/participant evaluation.
4. Interpersonal/Team Skills. Participate in activities of the instructional team, including planning, development, scheduling, and budgeting as a cooperative and professional team player.
5. Business/Industry/Community Linkages. Develop and deliver customized training for various clients as needed, and maintain involvement with business/industry/community through advisory committees, marketing and recruitment efforts, and professional associations and organizations.
6. Student Support and Guidance. Advise and support students as a mentor and role model in the achievement of their learning and career goals.
7. Professional Development. Participate in professional development activities that provide for continually updated knowledge and skills for the role of the contemporary instructor as directed by one’s Individual Professional Development Plan.
Qualifications, Training, and Experience:
1. Associate Degree in Culinary Arts and/or Bachelor Degree in Culinary Arts or Food Service Management or related culinary field. Master’s Degree preferred.
2. ACF Certified Chef – CEC (Certified Executive Chef), CEPC (Certified Executive Pastry Chef), and/or CCE (Certified Culinary Educator) preferred.
3. Five years of recent, relevant working experience as a chef working in a leadership capacity.
4. One year (or equivalent) of demonstrated adult instruction and curriculum development.
5. Meet Wisconsin Technical College System (WCTS) certification requirements.
Essential Aptitudes, Skills and Knowledge:
1. Current knowledge of the role of the bakery/pastry chef.
2. Ability to plan, organize, instruct, and facilitate quality education programs, including development of relevant curriculum.
3. Ability to support and work within a team environment.
4. Ability to communicate effectively and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of restaurant and related agencies and personnel.
5. Ability to teach effectively utilizing a variety of instructional methodologies including lecture, lab work, hands-on-instruction and other instructional methods.
6. Ability to update instructional methods and materials and apply research studies in classroom, lab and clinical settings.
7. Promotes and model professionalism as a chef to students, staff and professionals in the field.
8. Ability to work with diverse student, staff, and community populations.
9. Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, with students, staff, and others.
10. Success and commitment as a team player, including the ability to engage in win-win thinking and to foster consensus.
11. Flexibility in schedule, including availability for evening and weekend assignments.
12. Flexibility, including the acceptance of and willingness to change.
13. Proficiency in computer use and applications which support teaching and learning.
14. Highly motivated with strong interest in contributing to the success of students and the college.
15. Ability to express sensitivity and empathy to the individual needs of students.
16. Promotes an educational philosophy which places the primary emphasis on student learning in the design, delivery, and evaluation of courses.
17. Accepts responsibility for professional and personal growth.
18. Models a commitment to the mission, purposes, and values of the college.
Based on Hours Worked
Health and Dental Insurance
Term Life Insurance
Long Term Disability Insurance
Accumulated Sick Leave
Additional Benefits Include:
Deferred Income Compensation Plan
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Wellness/Fitness Program (Appleton Campus)
On-Site Child Care Facility (Appleton Campus)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
POSITION START DATE: February 2014. The anticipated assignment duration is through the Spring Semester, May 2014.
Schedule flexibility is needed, and the teaching schedule may vary.
SALARY: Salary will be based on qualifications, training and experience.
This position requires you to submit your transcripts. You can submit by either mail, email, or fax to:
Attn: Human Resource Services
Fox Valley Technical College
PO Box 2277
Appleton, WI 54912
Job will be posted for a minimum of five days and will remain open until the needs of the position are met.
To apply, please visit: http://apptrkr.com/437639
We regard diversity in the workforce as a competitive advantage and strongly support its presence in our educational environment. AA/EEO Notification of Compliance